/* Expandable post summary: */ Queer Vegan Kitchen: Really? Really?

Friday, August 28, 2009

Really? Really?

So I have white privilege. I know that I come from a place of privilege when I speak about race, but this shit is fucked up:
First of all, referring to the Jim Crow South to make a political point is pretty damned insensitive on a good day. Trivializing the experience of segregation into a division of water fountains, is also pretty messed up. Then on top of all of that, and here's the key thing, the experience of gay Americans is not comprable to segregation in almost any regard.
Additionally, racism is still very real in America (e.g. this fucking cartoon), and a biracial president does not mean that race based discrimination is over; I feel that this cartoon trivializes racism on several levels.
On top of that, most of the stuff that happens to the gays, happens to the rest of the queer community, and we all got left out.
Dear Center for American Progress,
Get fucked. I hope the experience is so liberating that you stop saying fucked up shit.
Regards,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment